Continuing from my previous Italian saga of Fettucine Alfredo which is a bake, here’s my next favourite Italian dish whose colours are a riot. Personally, I enjoy the dish sans spaghetti, but we’ll fit in the noodles to complete the definition of the name of the dish – Spaghetti Chicken with Tomato Sauce!
Time is a constraint, for more reasons than one. It’s not entirely about not having enough time to spare after work hours but also about not having sufficient time to assign to six to seven dishes on a party menu in one single day. I mean how would you manage to shop, chop, cook, clean – all on the main day? If you did, you’d be dead beat by the evening leaving you no vigour to enjoy your guests.
It’s easier to chop the ingredients and cook them – partially – the day prior to give you much-needed breathing space to enjoy the party the next evening. So here goes, my recipe that can give you a breather a day ahead – party or not. Spaghetti Chicken with tomato sauce!
Spaghetti Chicken in Tomato Recipe - 1st set of Ingredients & method
- 300 gm chicken (minced)
- 1 onion (grated)
- 1 tsp garlic (chopped)
- ½ tsp mixed herbs
- chilli flakes (as required)
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp refined cooking oil
- A pinch orange-red food colour
- Grind the chicken in a mixer, doing so for approx. 1 to 2 minutes.
- Marinade the ground chicken with onions, garlic, mixed herbs, chilli flakes and salt.
- Keep the marinade overnight for tastier results, then make small balls of the marinated ground chicken the next day & add to the gravy as outlined in Method 2
Spaghetti Chicken in Tomato Recipe - 2nd set of Ingredients & method
- 1 packet Hakka noodles (use a Rs 30 worth pack of noodles, boil it a day ahead & store in the refrigerator, add oil while boiling, boiling time 10-12 minutes)
- 100 gm assorted capsicums (red, yellow & green - chopped - 100 gram in total)
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes (blanched for 3 to 4 mins & peeled)
- 1 tbsp garlic (chopped)
- 1 tsp Italian mixed herbs
- chilli flakes (as required)
- Blend the blanched tomatoes (when cooled) to form a puree.
- Heat butter & oil together. Add the chopped garlic & stir for half a minute or so.
- Add herbs & chilli flakes, stirring for a short while, then sprinkling in some salt.
- Pour in the tomato purée next, stirring and mixing it till well incorporated.
- Add the marinated chicken balls to this gravy.
- Let cook for 2 to 5 minutes (covered). DO NOT STIR while still raw. You will know when the chicken is cooked when its colour changes.
- Then use a spoon to carefully flip the cooked side of the chicken balls, to allow the raw side to cook.
- Add a pinch of an orange-red colour, never use a deep red colour unless you want it to look like a bloody sanguine.
- Add all the chopped veggies (capsicums and onions) and turn off the stove. Keep aside.
- Toss and stir in the Hakka noodles at the time of SERVING.
I suggest you create an Italian theme at your party, starting with Italian jacket potatoes dipped in Italian red sauce, followed by Fettucine Alfredo and accompanied by Chicken Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce.