Have you ever heard of a banana and rum cocktail? I bet you rarely come by a combination as this one. Oranges and lemons, yes. Bananas, scarcely so. One would think that bananas are meant to go into fritters and smoothies alone until you taste this one.
Well, here’s proof of the success of my step-by-step recipe of a Banana Split Cocktail.
Banana and Rum Cocktail Recipe
- Wide-mouthed glass
- Bar blender
- 30 ml white rum
- 2 golden bananas (not overly ripe)
- 2 tsp sugar syrup (see sugar syrup recipe below)
- 5-6 cubes ice (partially crushed)
- 2 tbsp lime juice
Sugar Syrup Ingredients
- 6 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- Chop the bananas roughly and drop them into a blender (preferably a bar blender), adding partially crushed ice.(There is just the right amount of whirr that you must add to the blending act. A purring type of a whirr, in the beginning, followed by a more aggressive burr).(Try practising the blending part a couple of times before the finale. Don't let the blending make you go bananas!)
- Make sugar syrup as described in the steps below. Ensure that it is cooled before adding it to the blender ingredients.
- When well-blended, add the cooled "sugar syrup" and blend the mixture again.
- Strain into the glass; don;t let the ice cubes drop into the glass.
- Garnish with whatever takes your fancy, lemon rings or mint or cherries or even a slit banana will do the trick.
How to make Sugar Syrup
- Boil 6 teaspoons of sugar in a cup of water, till it reduces to one-fourth of its quantity.
- Cool the sugar syrup before adding it to the blender ingredients.
How does the banana cocktail taste? A thickish cocktail, sweet with a hint of tanginess. It’s groovy, one that will surprise the ladies into looking at a banana in a new light.